Dear all, Chess Online has reached 10,000 downloads today. Thank you for playing my games!
One of the players Filippo from Italy reported that since the new update the in-game touching mechanism didn’t work on his HTC Tatto phone (240×320). I looked into the problem and found it was because the hidden ads blocking the game board. After a quick fix to the problem, I was thinking why not adding supports to all kinds of screen sizes? So here it is. The new versions for 2 of the games can now support low/medium/high dpi screen densities and display contents according to screen sizes. Here are some screen shots.
This is the game display in low dpi screen (240×320):
Here is display on high dpi screen (480×854):
There are also some small fixes and features added to the updates. Enjoy.
It took me almost a whole day to read through the whole chess game algorithm and look for the break point where I can insert the codes for En passant rules. The problem was not as easy to solve as I thought and I had to clean up the codes a little bit. After about 8 hours hard work the En passant move was done. Enjoy and (hopefully) there won’t be bug reports on it =)
En passant is a special capture made immediately after a player moves a pawn two squares forward from its starting position, and an opposing pawn could have captured it as if it had moved only one square forward. In this situation, the opposing pawn may capture the pawn as if taking it “as it passes” through the first square. The resulting position is the same as if the pawn had only moved one square forward and the opposing pawn had captured normally. The en passant capture must be done on the very next turn, or the right to do so is lost. Such a move is the only occasion in chess in which a piece captures but does not move to the square of the captured piece. If an en passant capture is the only legal move available, it must be made. En passant capture is a common theme in chess compositions.
Btw, Chess Online 5.1 is not compatible with earlier versions. Please update.
New UI for Chess Online:
With the new UI, users can select a piece first. The game then displays all the possible moves from the selected piece. The users can then select a location to move to. See in-game help for more details.
Just for comparison, this is the old UI where users had to drag-n-drop a piece. There were no possible moving locations displayed either.
- Sign-up errors.
For people having trouble finding Chess Online 4.1 on the Market, here is the download link:
You need to UNZIP the file, extract chess.apk and copy it to your phone’s SD card. Open the file in your phone (you can use any file manage software such as ASTRO) and install it. You might want to uninstall the old version before installing this one. You should be able to play now. If you have any problems please let me know.
- Friend System
- Mail System
- User Sign-up/in
- Guest Quick Start
- Online User List
- Create/Join Game Room
- In-room Gaming/Chatting
- Public/Private Chatting
- View/Update Profile
I will post more pictures later. Need some sleep now…been working over 20 hrs.
Please go to Market and search for ‘chess’
Chess Online 3.0 is a online chess game that you can play with other users all over the world. Players can play this game on any Android platform over 3G or wi-fi network.
- Latest Version Code: Dante
- Release date: 2009-11-15
- Minimal Supported API level: 3
- Using Trackball, Keyboard and Touching to play
- Users can chat in a public room. The public chat room is visible to all Cloudroid games.
- Information for user sign in/out, enter/leave a room, game starts/over, etc. are also displayed in chat so you won’t miss any user activities.
- Users can create a game room, or join other player’s game room for a new game. The game room can be protected by a password to make it private room.
- A game room contains three main views: Room, Game and Chat. Room view is to display current room and players information in the room. A player can also click the ‘Ready to start’ button to get ready for a new game. Once all players in the room are ready, the game starts. This allows players to take a rest (or some players just want to chat) during games. Game view is to display the game board. You will be able to move your piece according to the game rule when it is your turn. In a timed game room you will also see a timer on the bottom indicating how much time before you have to make your move. Chat View is to display the in-room chat. This chat is private inside the room. However, you can still get system notifications in the in-room chat.
- More friendly UI design.
- ‘Surrender’, ‘Request a Draw’ added. You can now surrender the game if you think your opponent is winning. Or you can request a draw if you consider the game is moving into a tie.
- More game features…
Here are some screen shots:
You can go to Android Market and search for ‘Chess Online’ to download the game.
Please keep supporting Cloudroid games. Thank you.